|In 1938 a small group of local fishing friends that shared the love of bass fishing met with the intent of forming a club that would address issues concerning the states warm water fishery. The club was to be known as the "Western Bass Club" and was the only organized club in the United States dealing exclusively with Bass, Crappie, Perch and other spiny ray fish. It was founded by Ed "Mr. Bass" Frederich, Owner of Rainier Tackle Company in Seattle. He was also the clubs first president.|
On July 17, 1939, Ed T. Frederich, Frank C. Kelly, Ralph Higgens, and Earl Van Vleck filed the Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State's office in Olympia. Those articles singled out the primary purposes of the club to include:
To perpetuate warm water fish in waters adaptable to those fish.
To assist in the propagation of these fish by restocking and planting of suitable habitat in our lakes.
To assist in the formation of other clubs having similar objectives.
To assist in the observance and enforcement of game laws.
To cooperate in the fullest measure with other sportsmen organizations interested in the conservation of game fish, game birds and game animals.
To fight pollution in all waters of the state of Washington.
In 1939 the club paid for and took delivery of a tank full of six-inch long bass fingerlings that were planted in various waters approved by the game department. Many of the bass in Washington today are descendants of this initial planting.
In 1988 the club celebrated its 50th anniversary as the "oldest chartered bass club in the United States". The club was so honored by the Washington State Department of Game, which is only five years older.
The club attributes its longevity to the quality members it attracts and the ability to adapt to changing times. Through the years, many creative and innovational programs have been incorporated into the club. These programs make the Western Bass Club unique and appealing to new and old members alike. We invite you to become a part of our 70 year heritage.